Do you have an event coming up where you want to look fresh and dewy? Is your skin looking tired and dull? Are you short of time to visit the beauty salon?
I have constantly been in similar situations owing to my hectic work schedule. And have found a way out that ensures I always look great for social evenings after a long day at work.
With the help of my personal beautician, Shaheen Sheikh, I have worked out a quick fix beauty regime, using common ingredients available at home, that has never failed me so far. Of course, Shaheen has been working in the beauty industry for the last 20 years and leans more towards natural treatments rather than chemicals which affect your skin in the long run!
Give yourself a quick Facial at home
Cleanse: A good facial starts with a fresh, clean face. You first:
- Rub olive oil, almond oil or jojoba oil into your skin.
- Then, wipe it off with a towel dampened with warm water. This also makes a great makeup remover and leaves your skin soft and moist.
Exfoliate: The hallmark of a great facial is bright, refreshed looking skin. Exfoliating is a very important part of the process. For this:
- Apply your scrub using gentle circular motions to slough away the dead skin and reveal the fresh skin underneath.
- You can try one of these combinations:
- For oily skin: mix 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon honey and 1 teaspoon water
- For normal skin: mix 1 teaspoon ground oatmeal, 1 teaspoon honey and 1 teaspoon milk
- For dry skin: mix 1 teaspoon ground almonds, 1 teaspoon honey and 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Use lukewarm water to rinse off the scrub.
- When you are finished, pat your face dry with a soft towel.
Massage: Massaging your face increases circulation in your facial tissue, causing your skin to feel and look refreshed. In addition to making your skin look beautiful, it helps combat puffiness and wrinkles and relieves stress. Do a facial massage using this technique:
- Take any cold cream or baby oil and massage your cheeks with your fingertips using a wide circular motion.
- Then move your fingers up to your nostrils, over your cheekbones and then massage your forehead, starting with the temples and moving in toward the center.
- Massage your eye area, starting at the arch of your brow, moving down past the outer corner of your eyes.
- Lastly massage the area near your ears. This also relieves stress.
Steam: Steaming opens the pores and removes impurity in the entire process. Use a steamer. In case you do not have one, you can simply wet a washcloth under hot water, wring out excess water, and cover the face. You can repeat it one more time if needed.
Mask: You need to apply a mask to draw out the impurities and enhance your skin. You can use either of the following masks and keep it for about 20 minutes:
- Pack 1 – If you have oily skin, prepare a pack with the following items and apply on face and neck:
- Curd – 2 teaspoons
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Orange peel powder – 1 teaspoon
- Almond powder – 1 teaspoon
- Pack 2 – If you have normal skin, prepare a pack with the following items and apply on face and neck:
- Potato juice – 1 teaspoon
- Honey – 1 teaspoon
- Aloe Vera gel – 0.5 teaspoon
- Pack 3 – If you have dry skin, prepare a pack with the following items and apply on face and neck:
- Gram Flour (besan)/Fullers Earth (multani mitti) – 2 teaspoons
- Milk – 2 teaspoons or as needed to form a paste
Toning: Use a toner to close your skin pores. It will help your skin look bright and youthful. Just splash some on your face and let it soak in; wipe away the excess with a towel. You can make your own toner at home, using any one of the following:
- Plain cool water
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with 1 teaspoon cool water
Moisturize: Moisturizer will keep your skin from drying out, making the effects of your facial last as long as possible. You can use any of the following as a moisturizer:
- For oily skin: jojoba oil or aloe vera
- For normal skin: olive oil or almond oil
- For dry skin: coconut oil or argan oil
Last but not the least, while these quick fix solutions are a great help, nothing can replace a good diet and plenty of water. Ensure that you have a balanced diet and drink eight to ten glasses of water in a day for that soft skin.